Wednesday, February 20, 2008

WEDNESDAY WISDOM ( POST #2)

I don't consider myself all that wise, but I know enough to take you to a great source that gives great wisdom. I'd like to share some wise teachings that might help you this week; they've sure helped me (I'm always "preaching to the choir first"). They are no secrets. They're found in the Bible, but sometimes, unless we're purposely studying these things or have them in our devotions, we don't think of them often and may even forget. Ahh, the simplicity of just going to the Word...:) If you're not yet reading your Bible or don't have devotions, start with the 3 simple "wisdom" verses I mention in this post. God will do the rest. You'll be on your way


First of all, can we define wisdom: It is (according to Webster) the quality of being wise; the faculty to discern right and truth and to judge or act accordingly; sound judgment; sagacity (first time I've heard of this word--now I'm wiser:)); discretion; common sense; extensive knowledge.

Now, I like the part of discerning right and truth and to judge or act accordingly. Common sense can help us do that to some degree, but on-going, deep, and true wisdom comes from God; the leading of the Holy Spirit; the teachings of Jesus. We will surely stumble and err leaning on our own understanding.


Okay, on with the wise part or the good stuff! Check out Exodus 28:3-"You shall speak to all of the skillful persons whom I have endowed with the spirit of wisdom, that they make Aaron's garments to consecrate him, that he may minister as Priest to Me." I love this! Here is a quote that I think explains this verse well: "The tailors who made Aaron's garments were given wisdom by God in order to do their task. All of us have special skills. God wants (and will) to fill us with His Spirit so we will use them for His glory. A talent must be used or it will diminish." God's wisdom tells us what to do and how to do it and the result of us acting in obedience to that produces a "perfect product." May we use our talents for His glory always!


You say you want to be truly wise, it's very simple--Psalm 111:10 says, "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; A good understanding have all those who do His commandments; His praise endures forever." I guess, because of the Holy Spirit working in me, causing my respect and reverence for the Lord, I can be considered wise after all:). Thank you Jesus!! Often, people think that becoming wise means skipping the above step and and focusing on gaining life experiences and education. They think that's all they need. Wisdom starts with the All-Wise One, no cutting corners.


Last thing I want to share today is that Jesus wants us to model Him. You knew that right, but what was Luke saying in Luke 2:52? Jesus doesn't want our growth to be stagnant. His was not. Luke 2:52 says, "And Jesus kept increasing in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men." This is a great example and model of the Christian life. Here's another great quote that I think sums this verse up nicely: "The second chapter of Luke shows us that although Jesus was unique, he had a normal childhood and adolescence. In terms of development, he went through the same progression we do (that's why He can so understand our feelings, emotions, development, etc.--He's been there and done that!!). He grew physically and mentally, he related to other people, and He was loved by God. A full human life is not unbalanced. It was important to Jesus--and it should be important to all believers--to develop fully and harmoniously in each of these key areas: physical, mental, social, and spiritual."

Let's ask God for His wisdom today and lead fuller lives for Him! Have a wiser Wednesday!!


No comments: