Tuesday, September 23, 2008

TO THE TUNE OF TEA TUESDAYS #28

Did you know that British tea merchants, seeking a trade route that would bypass the battlefields of the Crimean War, introduced Morocco to tea drinking in the mid-nineteenth century? Moroccans traditionally drink green tea (usually Gunpowder) flavored with mint (Mmmm!!!). Boiling water is poured over the leaves and immediately discarded (this will greatly reduce or even eliminate the amount of caffeine). Mint leaves and sugar hammered from a large loaf are added to the tea leaves, and water is again poured in. The tea steeps and is tasted; more sugar and mint may be added. Men--at home, either the father or the eldest son--always pour and serve the tea (alright! I'll let my husband do that!), pouring it in a stream from high above the small glasses--a spectacle in itself and a way for guests to savor the color and aroma before they drink.


What's the most exotic tea you've ever sipped and where? How was it presented and served? Did you enjoy it? Comment and let me know.

If you're new to To the Tune of Tea Tuesdays, come check in with us every week. Sometimes it's just an article (or post) that I think you'll find interesting, but sometimes I have Mr. Linky up and running because we've got something tea-themed going around, and everyone wants to share. It gives you a chance to read other tea enthusiasts' (or ones who might simply be curious about all things tea, but haven't taken the plunge yet!) blogs and comments. Grab a cup of tea or a tisane and join us! Also, go to my "labels" column and look at archived posts under this label.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely blog you have..I am so glad to read your "thoughts"! I found you through my friend, RemoteTreeChanger.
I will add you to my list of favorite inspirations!!

Tracy said...

Interesting! I'm telling you, my interest in tea is actually getting heightened. Thanks for sharing!