Monday, September 15, 2008

MOMMY (and caregiver/mentor) MONDAYS #26

Don't you just love it, if you have children who are out of the home, and they come back and visit? I love seeing my 18 year old son. When I see him, I'm surprised that he's 18, although he's been 18 since March. I can't get it through my head. It's not that his being 18 makes me seem or feel old, it's that my firstborn is 18!!!


Well, he came over last night, to spend the night with us, and the kids still home are always happy to see him. He picks up where he left off in playing with them, kissing on his "Sissy," going in and out of my refrigerator (as if he's never left), and just generally feeling like he's home. I want all of my children to feel a sense of home, even after they leave. What about you? How does this play out for you if you have grown (or nearly grown--I don't consider 18 grown yet) children?


I'm learning how to transition from needing to be his full-time, at-home Mommy, to being his confidante, his friend, his mentor, and whatever else God would have me be in his life, at this stage. WOW!! I never pictured myself getting here, although I knew it would come. I thought it would look different than it has actually played out. What did you expect? Was it the same or nearly the same?


I want him to know, that despite decisions this year that God and we as parents are not pleased with, that God still has a plan for his life, and he needs to take the necessary steps and daily meditations to get there and/or figure out what that plan is. We want him to know that we pray for him daily and that he is always in our thoughts. What things do you feel you need to pray for your adult child/en (nothing personal you may not want to tell)? Our concern for them sure hasn't lessened has it? Just different.


I thank God that He has allowed me to see this child to near adulthood, one to high school, one finding her way and figuring out who she is and whose she is as a middle schooler, and one still under the shelter and protection of the parent in elementary school. I thank God that He is a God of second chances and third and fourth and...because we don't always get it right the first time as parents. I need the Lord to parent my children through me. I always say the Creator can do a much better job at dealing with His created than one of His created can.


Have a wonderful rest of the day.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

This is a beautiful Mommy post and I really enjoyed reading it. I don't have to worry about the empty nest for awhile since Sweet Pea is just turning 1 in 3 days, but even so, I can't imagine it. Blessings my friend!

Linda said...

My eldest will be 21 in April. He emailed me a lot this morning he had a very hectic day yesterday.

I am the same, never pictured myself getting here. It wasn't the same as I expected. I didn't think I could get a child of mine to uni to start with. Not the study, just getting them there.