Wednesday, April 9, 2008

WEDNESDAY WISDOM (#9)

WISDOM QUOTES
I just thought I'd share some quotes I found on wisdom. They made me think and see how they parallel with other things and truths as I know them. You can certainly use them if you like. I borrowed them from the author myself, after all. I hope one really stands out to you. Tell me how any one of them made you think or what you thought about it.
Cicero says: " The function of wisdom is to discriminate between good and evil."
Dietrich Bonhoeffer: "To understand reality is not the same as to know about outward events. It is to perceive the essential nature of things. The best-informed man is not necessarily the wisest. Indeed there is a danger that precisely in the multiplicity of his knowledge, he will lose sight of what is essential. But on the other hand, knowledge of an apparently trivial detail quite often makes it possible to see into the depth of things. And so the wise man will seek to acquire the best possible knowledge about events, but always without becoming dependent upon this knowledge. To recognize the significant in the factual is wisdom.
George Burns says: "Too bad that all the people who really know how to run the country are busy driving taxi cabs and cutting hair." (I don't know if this is wisdom, truth, or what:))
Groucho Marx: " A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five." (I love this one!)
Henry David Thoreau: "It is characteristic of wisdom not to do desperate things."
Immanuel Kant says: "Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."
and last for today, Isaac D'Israeli: "The wisdom of the wise, and the experience of the ages, may be preserved by quotations."
Well that's certainly the case with the Bible isn't it? It is the wisdom of the wise and experience of the ages, and it has been preserved through the ages for us to read, having been written by men, guided by the Holy Spirit, to write the quotations of Jesus, others around them (or themselves), and all things that they experienced. It's the most popular quotation book ever! And the neat thing about it is, it's all true!
Be wise this Wednesday (and everyday!)

No comments: